Skip to content

Baby Shower!

May 25, 2012

Sunday was a double celebration: my baby shower and my 35th birthday. In all honesty, I forgot about my birthday (not completely forgot, but I didn’t wake up thinking, ‘today is my birthday’ like I do every birthday morning) until I woke up and read an email from Chris wishing me a happy birthday. Really the only ones who knew it was my birthday was my immediate family which was fine by me because the day was truly about the celebration of Baby Barrett!

The most surprising trademark this pregnancy has left in my life is my sense of peace, calmness and overall feeling of everything being exactly as it should. I feel as though just having something bigger than me to be responsible for, has shifted my focus off the little things that happen in life and forces you to think about the world in a new way. The fact that I totally forgot it was my birthday (when usually I LOVE talking about my birthday) is fitting.

Onto the celebration

I wanted to have the shower at my house for a couple of reasons:

1. I wanted my friends and family to know where I lived and that they were always welcome to come visit, which I feel will be paramount to my mental health the first month Chris is away.
  2. Since we bought this house four years ago we’ve been remodeling. Our home is finally complete (almost) and we are in a position to entertain people.

I had SO MANY people come over! I really had not anticipated that many people would be able to come. I was so honored and humbled so many of them took time out of their busy lives to support and celebrate my new family! I think I counted about 26 friends and family members at one point. In retrospect, I think it would have been better to have less people so I could have “worked the room” a little more. I hope they all had a good time.

Pictures:

1-DSC_0054

Setting up the party

1-DSC_0057

My sister and I (she threw the awesome shower!)

1-DSC_0059

Mom, Sister, and I

1-DSC_0060

All the aunties

1-DSC_0061

1-DSC_0063

1-DSC_0077

1-DSC_0086

1-DSC_0088

1-DSC_01081-DSC_0126

1-DSC_0135

1-DSC_0136

1-DSC_0142

1-DSC_0158

The next day I washed and folded all the adorable baby girl clothes and blankets. My house smelled of yummy babies!

1-DSC_01601-DSC_01681-DSC_0170One of the coolest gifts I got was this hand knitted blanket, hat, and book. She must have taken HOURS making this beautiful thoughtful gift. Her card had a beautiful note about what an impact reading books together had on her and her sons life (her son is going away to college this summer) as he was growing up and how they still have a connection with each other over book conversations. VERY thoughtful.   1-DSC_0166

I couldn’t have asked for a better way to celebrate with my loved ones.

Tomorrow I’m going baby shopping with my sister for a few final things I need for baby. I have a feeling time is going to start moving very fast from here on out.

Sidenote – a friend told me at the end of the night that I shouldn’t wear stripes anymore because they make me look too big. LOL…..body issues much bitch! I almost bit my tongue off as I was holding back snark at her. She’s got issues, it’s not about me. I LOVED that dress and I LOVE the way I look right now. Nobody can tell me otherwise.

When people ask me how I’m feeling the answer is always the same: “I’ve never been better.” and that is the honest truth!

About these ads
9 Comments leave one →
  1. May 25, 2012 10:42 am

Your friend is wrong, I LOVE the striped dress!! Happy belated birthday! Looks like the shower was a huge success :)

2. May 25, 2012 12:51 pm

Before I read that last bit I was already thinking “i need to comment about how great she looks in those stripes!” Stripes or no stripes – you looked gorgeous in those pictures – your happiness just jumps out at me :)

I’m so glad you had such a wonderful shower. And I love that you wanted to open your home to everyone :) Baby Barrett is a lucky girl already.

3. Alisa permalink
    May 25, 2012 2:59 pm

So cute all of it! Especially you in the dress! I love preggers in tight fitting clothes showing off their bumps. PS Still loving your hair too.

Looks like your shower was a complete success. I can’t believe I’m doing Jen’s next weekend =). I think (hope) it turns out as great as yours.

Baby clothes are just so adorable aren’t they!

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY! So fun to celebrate both things.

4. May 25, 2012 4:09 pm

You look fantastic! There’s not much that a 3rd trimester woman can wear that doesn’t make her look big – because pregnant women are big! However, the difference between pregnant big and other big is that pregnant big looks awesome!

I’m so glad you had a good shower and a good birthday. I turned 35 the weekend before my shower :)

5. May 25, 2012 7:00 pm

That is so wrong about the dress. And so rude. The first picture I saw I thought how cute the dress looked!
    I love the Hungry Caterpillar gift. Overall what a nice celebration!!!

6. Amy T, Yo! permalink
    May 28, 2012 9:11 pm

I will trunk a bitch! WTF?!?!? A) Who says that? B) Who says that to someone who’s pregnant and C) She’s totally fucking wrong! You look ADORABLE! That dress and your bump are too cute. Keep wearing the dress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looooooved the pics and seeing your house (I noticed the new red lamp shade over the sink – love it!). Looked like an awesome party celebrating you and Baby B. Your mom and sis are so cute too. Everyone just looks so happy.

That last gift is about the sweetest thing I have ever seen. I read to Annie every night (started early at like 1 month) and she is a book worm through and through. Warms my heart to hear that other mom say it was special for her son, too.

7. May 30, 2012 12:33 am

Happy Belated Birthday!!!!! You look and sound so happy! Great gifts, especially the Hungry Caterpiller set (and I’m a huge fan of the Sleep Sack. Huge.) Have you heard of the 100 Books Before Age One theory? There is a book by Mem Fox about the benefits of reading to your children when they are babies. I’m a fan of that too. What the heck are you feeling in that bowl????

8. May 30, 2012 6:43 pm

Looks like you had a great time girl. :) That’s one helluva pile of clothes!!!

9. June 1, 2012 5:27 pm

Omg I can’t believe someone said that to you! You look awesome and I’m so glad you feel great too.

You got a lot of loot! Yowzers! I hope your girl has a closet AND a dresser! I love the hungry caterpillar themed gift, how very thoughtful. And useful!

I bet it’s all starting to feel very real. I am so excited for you!